reverse lookup question

ragan_davis at colstate.edu ragan_davis at colstate.edu
Fri Sep 24 23:31:40 UTC 2004

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows of a way to restrict who can perform reverse lookups?  I was able to restrict normal (forward) lookups using "view".  My problem is that the addresses I would like to restrict reverse on are scattered among IP's that I DO NOT want to restrict.  Any ideas?

Here's an example:

1 IN PTR host1.domain.com.
2 IN PTR host2.domain.com.
3 IN PTR host3.domain.com.
4 IN PTR host4.domain.com.

I want everyone to be able to reverse lookup on 1 and 3, but only certain internal clients to do reverse lookup on 2 and 4.  Is this possible?

Also, another dumb question -- do you have to name reverse lookup files in the form "1.2.3.4.in-addr.arpa"?  Or could you use a name like "special-revers.in-addr.arpa" or something?

thanks!