Resolv.conf and Ping

Scott Moseman scmoseman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 14:44:22 UTC 2004

Not really a Bind issue, per say, but maybe you guys know.
I'm running Bind and added a subdomain to my main domain.
Added this subdomain in resolv.conf as a secondary search.
(So assume that I am now using abc.com and sub.abc.com.)

nslookup appears to use the first "search" in resolv.conf.
ping seems to use the second (last?) "search" in resolv.conf.

Basically, what this means, is that my box is unable to ping a
hostname that is in abc.com but not in sub.abc.com, although
nslookups will return appropriate values.

Has anyone had this problem before?  Anything to fix this?

Thanks,
Scott Moseman