Unreasonable large memory usage when using big (RBL) master zone files.

Istvan Viczian istvan.viczian at cybercomgroup.com
Mon Sep 27 18:08:17 UTC 2004

Hi,

I have installed BIND9.2.4 on RedHat ES3.0 (2.4.21-4.ELsmp)
runing on a FujitsuSiemens RX300 with dual Xeon 2.4GHz CPU, 3GB memory
and I have configured bind to be just master (no chaching nae server
config has been applied)
for one rsync-ed RBL list file (list.dsbl.org)  which reach the
size of ~400MB after shaping it  into BIND zone file format, and a
script configured to fetch and format
the updated zone file in every second hour and reload the name daemon
with the new zonefile (rndc reload)
After several  zone update the name daemon has been allocated ~2GB
memory , even if  no any DNS request
sent towards it.
  I have found the issues regaring the large zone file related problems, and
I just would like to get some feedback  if  anybody has succeeded to
configure bind for hosting such a large (or larger) zone files without any
unreasonable extra memory usage, before I will look for other solutions
(like rbldnsd)

Regards,
Istvan Viczian