MX and mail-dot

David Botham DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com
Tue Sep 28 20:44:43 UTC 2004

bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 09/28/2004 03:05:21 PM:
> > If one server receives your mail (i.e. a anti-virus smtp gateway) but
> > another server sends your outgoing mail, how would you setup your DNS?
> Who
> > gets the MX and who gets the mail.abc.com?
> >
> > I figure the smtp gateway server gets the MX and the outgoing server
gets
> > the mail.abc.com.

The host name on the right side of your MX RR should be the host name of
the server that received inbound email (in your case the anti-virus smtp
gateway.  If you domain is foo.com and your anti-virus smtp gateway is
named mgw.foo.com then the MX RR for your environment would look like
this:

foo.com IN MX 10 mgw.foo.com.

Of course, your anti-virus smtp gateway would need an A RR as well:

mgw.foo.com     IN A    192.168.1.5

Now, you mentioned an outbound mail server.  Presumably it has a name as
well, let's call it obm.foo.com (short for Out Bound Mail).  It will need
an A RR as follows:

obm.foo.com     IN A  192.168.1.10

Hope that helps...

Dave...