dig command error in DNS

jack alex emailssent at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 29 10:49:57 UTC 2004

>>/etc/resolv.conf should have a line in it that reads:
>>nameserver
>>where is the ip address of a functioning name server.

I would like to clear one thing that , i am a newbie and trying to configure DNS server

that is what i am trying to configure DNS server on 192.168.1.2, so what should in /etc/resolv.conf file on the client m/c and on the server m/c

> for reference
> =============
> -> 203.101.86.145- my ISP address
>>Not sure what you mean here. Is that the IP address that your ISP
>>assigned to you? If so, what are you using it for? If not, what is it?

this is the ip address of my Internet Service Provider,

> -> 192.168.1.1- system to which internet connection is
>
> directly comming and it is proxy server
>
> -> 192.168.1.2- system to which i am trying to
> configure DNS server and internet is share through

>>If the above host is to be your name server then use it in
>>/etc/resolv.conf. The name server process on this system must be
>>functioning before you can expect resolution to be successful.

I configure the cacheing server on this ip (192.168.1.2) , but i am not able to dig any ip , this is only my question why i am not able to dig....

> proxy server
>
> -> I can ping every outside ip through my proxy
> server(192.168.1.1)but i can't ping any outside ip
> through (192.168.1.1)

>>Both of the IP addresses above are the same. You may want to restate with
>>the right IP addresses or further explain.

sorry for typing mistake, yes offcourse i would like to correct it and correct data is

 I can ping every outside ip through my proxy
 server(192.168.1.1)but i can't ping any outside ip
 through (192.168.1.2)

so, finally
Q1) Why i am not able to dig from 192.168.1.2(on which i am trying to confiugre DNS)

Q2) Is it possible to configure DNS server on the system(on which internet is shared through proxy server)??

More info. can provided for more clarity , if needed .

-jack

David Botham <DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com> wrote:
bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 09/28/2004 11:55:38 AM:
> Q1) Is it possible to configure DNS server on the
> system(on which internet is shared through proxy
> server)??
>
> I am trying to configure DNS ,
>
> when i dig -x 66.218.71.63 it give me error....
> # dig -x 66.218.71.63
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.2.3rc2 <<>> -x 66.218.71.63
> ;; global options: printcmd
> ;; connection timed out; no servers could be
> reached
>
> Q 2) What should i put in /etc/resolv.conf either
> 192.168.1.1 or 203.101.86.145 ( i tried both but
> doesn't worked) or any thing else ???

/etc/resolv.conf should have a line in it that reads:

nameserver

where is the ip address of a functioning name server.

> for reference
> =============
> -> 203.101.86.145- my ISP address

Not sure what you mean here. Is that the IP address that your ISP
assigned to you? If so, what are you using it for? If not, what is it?

> -> 192.168.1.1- system to which internet connection is
>
> directly comming and it is proxy server
>
> -> 192.168.1.2- system to which i am trying to
> configure DNS server and internet is share through

If the above host is to be your name server then use it in
/etc/resolv.conf. The name server process on this system must be
functioning before you can expect resolution to be successful.

> proxy server
>
> -> I can ping every outside ip through my proxy
> server(192.168.1.1)but i can't ping any outside ip
> through (192.168.1.1)

Both of the IP addresses above are the same. You may want to restate with
the right IP addresses or further explain.

Dave...