Compile BIND 9.3.1 for cacheing performance

Rick Jones foo at bar.baz.invalid
Wed Apr 6 16:49:59 UTC 2005

Joe Shen <sj_hznm at yahoo.com.cn> wrote:
> I'm trying to optimize BIND9.3.1 cache server performance on my new
> SPARC computers(Solaris9).

> IMHO, the first step should compile BIND code with Sun's C
> compiler. But, after I compiled BIND with Forte 7 C compiler I found
> the binary code generated is much larger than that of gcc3.4.2. (
> with Sun's C compiler I got named of 5042848 bytes, with gcc 2375920
> bytes). Do this means GCC will generate more optimized code ?

Depends on your definition of optimized.  Smaller binaries do not
necessarily run faster.  They may for example, have less inlining and
so higher procedure call overheads.

Also, if you are simply looking at the size of the resulting binary
file on disc, don't.  You should look at the output of the size
command instead.  Some compilers may put more debug stuff into the
binary in places where the loader may not necessarily load it into
RAM.  Particularly if -g is still present in the compiler options
list.

rick jones
feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com  but NOT BOTH...