Authoritative Server - Referrals to root

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Apr 7 23:08:40 UTC 2005

In article <d34c5l$r6r$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Joe Greco <jgreco at ns.sol.net>
wrote:

> There is no operational reason that our authoritative nameservers here
> cannot think that they're authoritative for, let's say, isc.org.  It has
> no operational impact on anybody even if we did, because nothing would
> ever cause queries for isc.org to be routed to our authoritative
> nameservers.  That's the difference between a closed-for-abuse customer
> and the situation you're painting it as.

There can often be problems during transitions, though.  If a zone used
to be delegated to you, someone may still have the cached delegation.
And if you are also authoritative for the zone, you'll keep updating
their NS records every time they query you, so they'll never go back to
the TLD server to get the new delegation.  We had a thread a few weeks
ago about this type of problem.

So, in the OP's situation, they're removing a zone because the customer
hasn't paid.  If the customer switches to a new provider, they'll
presumably update the delegations.  But if the OP left the empty zone on
his server, some caches may never notice the switch.

What he *could* do is monitor the delegations for the zones that he's
invalidating.  As long as it's delegated to him, he should continue to
host the empty zone to avoid the request looping problem that he ran
into.  Once the delegation changes, he should remove the zone.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA