need help in bind9 setup

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sat Apr 9 00:27:52 UTC 2005

In article <d36qlh$2hn9$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Chiang Seng Chang <cs at ctzen.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a colo machine with 1 ip address and several domain names, I need
> to confirm that I am setting up bind9 correctly. (note. not using actual
> machine name and ip).
>
> name of server: foo.dom-a.com
>
> domains: dom-a.com, dom-b.com
>
> named.conf (the interesting part):
>
>      zone "." {
>          type hint;
>          file "named.root";
>      };
>
>      zone "dom-a.com" in {
>          type master;
>          file "master/db.dom-a.com";
>          allow-query { any; };
>      };
>
>      zone "dom-b.com" in {
>          type master;
>          file "master/db.dom-b.com";
>          allow-query { any; };
>      };
>

> db.dom-a.com:
>
>      $TTL    86400
>      dom-a.com.  IN  SOA     ns hostmaster (...omitted...)
>                  IN  NS      ns

NS records must point to A records, not CNAME records.

You should also have at least 2 nameservers for a zone.

>                  IN  MX 10   mail

MX records must point to A records, not CNAME records.

>      @           IN  A       1.2.3.4
>      localhost   IN  A       127.0.0.1
>      ns          IN  CNAME   @
>      mail        IN  CNAME   @
>      www         IN  CNAME   @
>      foo         IN  CNAME   @
>

> db.dom-b.com:
>
>      $TTL    86400
>      dom-b.com.  IN  SOA     ns hostmaster (...omitted...)
>                  IN  NS      ns
>                  IN  MX 10   mail

Same as above -- these both must point to A records, and you should have
two NSes.

>      @           IN  A       1.2.3.4    ; SAME IP AS dom-a.com
>      localhost   IN  A       127.0.0.1
>      ns          IN  CNAME   @
>      mail        IN  CNAME   @
>      www         IN  CNAME   @
>

> notes:
>
> 1. dom-a has an extra host foo
> 2. there is only 1 ip address
>

> Question #2: how do I set up the reverse lookup zone file ?
>
> Obviously the colo is not going to give me a subnet, in fact there is
> only 1 ip.  In this case, do I just setup a
>
>      zone "3.2.1.in-addr.arpa"
>
> and a
>
>      4  IN PTR  foo.dom-a.com.
>
> ?

No, you should set up

zone "4.3.2.1.in-addr.arpa"

and it should contain

@ IN PTR foo.dom-a.com.

The colo center will have to delegate this reverse zone to your server.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA