defining service ceilings

Sebastian Castro Avila secastro at nic.cl
Mon Apr 11 19:11:52 UTC 2005

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:38:07 -0500, Tim Peiffer <peiffer at umn.edu> wrote:

> Are there any BCP documents that cover methodologies for measuring or
> defining the maximum number of queries that a DNS server is capable
> of?    Are there any defined test suites that we should be running?  I
> am looking for documentation that would help validate the testing that
> we have already done.
>
> Example:
> We recently installed new hardware that replaced our authoritative
> nameservers.  The hardware used to be run on FreeBSD 4.X, and Bind 8.X.
> Daily  query averages are running approximately 600 qps total across all
> of the servers.  After replacing the hardware with Sun V60 and RedHat
> AS,  we were able to create a query source file and use the queryperf
> utility, we were able to establish a service ceiling of approximately
> 5500qps.

That looks like a very short number.

In testing conducted by our engineers, we reach a limit of 55,000 qps
under a Giga Ethernet link, Pentium Xeon 3.0 Ghz (SMP) and using NSD.

Using a FastEthernet link, we got 30,000 qps (all traffic that network
card could handle) with NSD or BIND 9.

Also we run some authoritative servers for a TLD and we have received
peaks of 2500 qps, and a bunch of servers acting as slaves for many of our
child zones receiving peaks of 4000 qps. IMHO, you should try to repeat
your tests.

Best Regards

Sebastian E. Castro Avila             sebastian at nic.cl
Administrador de DNS, NIC Chile
Fono: (2) 9407705                  Fax  : (2) 9407701