Help with views...

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Tue Apr 12 00:37:19 UTC 2005

> OK, I think I need to use views.
>
> I have a hosting company that has given me 2 IP address. on the same
> machine of course..
>
> So, I thought I would run both the master and slave servers .. one on
> each IP address.
>
> The only problem, I have no idea how or if it is possible.
>
> The hard questions will come later.

Do you have any particular reason to bother?

Are the IP addresses on different netblocks, or are they just right next
to each other?

Is the machine unusually unlikely to be subject to failures?

Are you running some version of the software that's been cleared of all
possible bugs, so that crashes are not possible?

Are you registering under a zone that requires more than one nameserver
but doesn't mind you putting both the primary on the same machine?

If the answer to all of these questions is yes, then you can *begin* to
think about whether it's worth doing this.  Otherwise, it'd be better to
pass and find someone to host a backup for you.  I believe there are
services such as Granite Canyon which will help out.

... JG