bind returns empty record first time

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Apr 12 19:12:42 UTC 2005

Captain Dondo wrote:

>Ronan Flood wrote:
>

>>Your ISP's nameservers (66.178.167.27 and 66.178.152.14) do not accept
>>recursive queries; you should not have them in your resolv.conf.
>>
>>Your ISP might have other nameservers which will accept recursive
>>queries, which you should use instead; ask them.
>>

>OK, thanks.  I sort of figured that out by trial and error....
>
>What's a recursive query?  I know recursion, but I'm having a hard time
>applying it to a DNS lookup... I always thought DNS queries were
>flat-file, or store-and-forward....

Basically, a recursive query says "go do whatever work is required to
resolve this lookup, and give me the completed results". A non-recursive
query, on the other hand says, "tell me whatever you know about this
lookup, but don't make any queries of your own on my behalf".
Non-recursive queries are typically made by intelligent resolvers (such
as the one embedded in "named"), and it can often take several
non-recursive queries to resolve a particular lookup. This process is
called iterative resolution. Stub resolvers, those that would use
/etc/resolv.conf or the Wintel registry equivalent, are not smart enough
to perform iterative resolution, so they can only issue recursive
queries and should only talk to servers that honor recursion on their
behalf.