Problem with Reverse DNS

joe joe at drkstr.com
Wed Apr 13 18:59:38 UTC 2005

M. B?ttger wrote:

>Hello,
>
>i have a problem with an reverse DNS-entry.
>The situation:
>We have an IP-Provider who gives us the lines and the IP's.
>Then we have a Domain-Provider who links our domains to the IP's.
>afak the Domain-Provider is in charge for the 'normal'/forward DNS
>while our IP-Provider is in charge for the reverse DNS.
>Is that correct?
>Both of them say they are not responsible for that, because the other
>side is.
>
>I think the IP-Provider is in charge for the DNS-Entry.
>Right?
>
>We need this entry for mailing to aol (and maybe others).
>aol blocks all of our mails because of the missing reverse DNS.
>
>Thanks in advance for any hints or tips
>Michael Boettger

I figured I would finally answer a post since I have gotton so much from
here. Time to give back just a little bit.

Here is a very simple way of looking at it:
ISP (whois in charge of assigning ip's to their customers) = reverse dns
delegation/ptr records for your servers.
DNS HOSTING Provider = zone file for domain name (ie: a, www, mx records)

now others may have a more detailed version of this but i like to keep
things simple when it comes to the internet, etc...

hope that helps,
Joe