Problem with Reverse DNS

Doug dlpreston at dlld.org
Wed Apr 13 22:27:23 UTC 2005

At 02:56 AM 4/13/2005, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>i have a problem with an reverse DNS-entry.
>The situation:
>We have an IP-Provider who gives us the lines and the IP's.
>Then we have a Domain-Provider who links our domains to the IP's.
>afak the Domain-Provider is in charge for the 'normal'/forward DNS
>while our IP-Provider is in charge for the reverse DNS.
>Is that correct?
>Both of them say they are not responsible for that, because the other
>side is.
>
>I think the IP-Provider is in charge for the DNS-Entry.
>Right?
>
>We need this entry for mailing to aol (and maybe others).
>aol blocks all of our mails because of the missing reverse DNS.
>
>Thanks in advance for any hints or tips
>Michael Boettger

What I did is get my ISP to delegate the reverse dns to me.  Once they did
that then I can set the reverse as needed.  If they wont delegate to you
get them to do a reverse on ip of the server you want to be your mx
server.  Out of the last 5 years any commercial/business account I have had
I have never had a problem getting the isp to do reverse on static iP;s
that I was assigned.