defining service ceilings

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon Apr 18 21:34:04 UTC 2005

At 12:13 PM +0200 2005-04-18, Ted Lindgreen wrote:

>>	Keep in mind that NSD is not suitable for use as a
>>general-purpose authoritative-only server.
>
>  Why would that be?

	It doesn't do round-robin, or any of the other things that normal
authoritative-only servers should do, but which are not strictly
required for use on serving TLD data.

>  According to the (quite lively) nsd-users mailing list, at least
>  the actual NSD-users think it is very suitable. Among the NSD-users
>  there are 2 root-servers and a substantial number of TLD's.

	Right.  It's designed for root servers and TLD servers.  It's not
designed for general-purpose authoritative-only purposes.

	Even for root and TLD servers, there are internal issues with the
code that prevent it being used for some TLD providers, primarily
having to do with the day the program wants to load all data in
memory (and the particular type of uncompressed jump table that is
built), etc....

	That is unless you folks have changed a lot more since I last
looked at the program than I had thought.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755