Forward Zone updated by Microsoft DNS

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Tue Apr 19 12:51:30 UTC 2005

"Bruce A. Black" <bblack at iccu.com> wrote:

>I have been looking for information on how to get a Windows 2003 server
>to update a BIND 9 installation on Linux. The reverse zone updates but
>not the forward and I cannot figure out how to get it to work.
>
>Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bruce
>
>My named.conf file is as follows:
>
>options {
>        directory "/var/named";
>        dump-file "/var/named/data/cache_dump.db";
>        statistics-file "/var/named/data/named_stats.txt";
>        /*
>         * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
>         * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
>         * directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
>         * questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses an unprivileged
>         * port by default.
>         */
>         // query-source address * port 53;
>};
>
>controls {
>        inet 127.0.0.1 allow { localhost; } keys { rndckey; };
>};
>
>zone "." IN {
>        type hint;
>        file "named.ca";
>};
>

>zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" IN {
>        type master;
>        file "named.local";
>};
>
>zone "domain.com" IN {
>        type master;
>       // notify no;
>        file "domain.com";
>        allow-update { 172.17.0.0/16; localhost; };
>};
>
>zone "5.17.172.in-addr.arpa" IN {
>        type master;
>       // notify no;
>        file "172.17.5";
>        allow-update { 172.17.0.0/16; localhost; };
>};
>
>// Following added by Bruce to keep log stuff out.
>logging {
>        category lame-servers { null; };
>
>};
>
>include "/etc/rndc.key";

Exactly what are you trying to do?  Are you trying to get the W2k Server
to self-register in DNS?  It is not clear from what you wrote?  Is
the Server sending any DNS packets to the BIND server?  Are there
messages on the BIND side?  Are there Event Log records on the W2k side?

As I read your subject line, I get an entirely different picture of
what you are trying to do.  Please explain your setup, and what
record(s) you are trying to register in the BIND server.  Are these
record(s) self-registration for the W2k Server?  Are they DC SRV
records?  Are they DNS registrations from a separate W2k workstation?
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov