Do I need MX record at all?

Charles Cala charles_cala at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 19 22:48:12 UTC 2005

--- unix at edify.com wrote:
> 	I would like to know if MX record is needed at all reason is I am
> using Sendmail (8.12.11)on the same DNS server that uses mailertable which
> has entries to tell where it needs to pass on email. I have Checkpoint FW
> rules to tell how the email should be routed, so do I really need MX record
> for the outside world to tell where email should be delivered to.

An MX record is not mandatory, but it is WISE.

Some mail filters look for an MX record, no MX
no email from that domain.

Here’s how an MX record would help you, your net hole is
down for some reason, car bombing, backhoe, anthrax,
jet liner, or whatever.

You have back up mail servers on different works, across the country.

You are down for a few days, but do not lose any mail (in).

You don’t have to plan for a falure, but one is planning on you.

-charles