a domain default resolution

Jim McNamara jim.mcnamara at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 01:05:59 UTC 2005

I could be wrong about this, but I think what you are looking for is a
wildcard subdomain. The format I have had success is to put the
wildcard (*) at the bottom of your zone file. For example, if you
have:

real1.domain.com            1.2.3.4
real2.domain.com            1.2.3.5
real3.domain.com            1.2.3.6
*.domain.com                  1.2.3.7

It should have the output you want. It will hit the wildcard last, so
if you have www, pop, smtp or any other"real" sub it will be given the
correct IP for that, and then if it fails all of those, it hits the
wildcard last, which will return true for anything not specified
earlier.

Peace,
Jim