bind 9.3.1 still causes delays in multiples of 2 seconds

Paul Boven p.boven at chello.nl
Mon Apr 25 14:56:10 UTC 2005

Hi everyone,

When asking a bind-9.3.1 to resolve something that's not in its cache,
it will sit idle for 2 seconds (or multiples thereof) before asking
asking some of the nameservers. But from prior discussions in this
newsgroup, I thought this particular bug was fixed in the 9.3.1-release?

Packet trace: (timestamps are relative)
  client -> ns1 DNS C www.sunray.nl. Internet Addr ?
  0.00350 ns1 -> ns.nic.nl DNS C www.sunray.nl. Internet Addr ?
  0.00086 ns.nic.nl -> ns1 DNS R
(time passes.. nothing happens)
  2.01631 ns1 -> 213.136.12.59 DNS C www.sunray.nl. Internet Addr ?
  0.00035 213.136.12.59 -> ns1 DNS R www.sunray.nl. Internet Addr
213.136.0.188
  0.00088 ns1 -> client DNS R www.sunray.nl. Internet Addr 213.136.0.188

Or, as dig puts it:  'Total query time: 2018 msec'

Can anyone confirm these findings?

I'm running Bind on Solaris 8/9. Compiling bind with '--disable-ipv6' is
not really an option for us as some of our nameservers do run IPv6.
For now I guess I'll have to disable IPv6 support by starting bind with
the '-4' options on all machines that don't have IPv6 connectivity.

Regards, Paul Boven.
.