Moving auth master servers.

Keith Woodworth kwoody at citytel.net
Tue Apr 26 20:26:23 UTC 2005

Ive been using BIND for about 6 yrs now. Nothing to complicated or
anything but our Primary NS will be going away by the end of May after 10
yrs of operation on the same IP number.

Ive dug through my BIND books and Ive started the process of moving from
the old IP number to the new DNS on a new IP number.

Setup new server, transfered all files from old server to the new one.
Submitted changes to the registrar so both servers are listed and Ive
slowly been moving domains over to the new machine.

I'm really afraid of hosing something but so far I think its going ok.

One question I have is the SOA record and its probably basic as hell but I
need clarification.

Old server was NS1 so SOA looks like this:

$TTL 86400
@               IN      SOA     ns1.citytel.net

New server is NS3 so SOA needs to be changed thus:

$TTL 86400
@               IN      SOA     ns3.citytel.net.

NS records on all zones are being changed to ns3.citytel.net. Is this the
correct way to move servers?

Sorry for basic question but its been on my mind.

Thanks,
Keith