problem with two zones with same reverse zone

Merton Campbell Crockett mcc at CATO.GD-AIS.COM
Tue Aug 2 17:43:31 UTC 2005

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Rick Tautin wrote:

> 	I have three zones.  mov.com, movie.com and the reverse lookup zone.  My
> question is both zones are in the same network using the same subnet.  We
> are trying to get rid of the mov.com zone but we won't be able to for
> awhile.  What reverse zone would I use for mov.com since they are the same
> ip's are the movie.com zone.  I tried entering a entry in the mov.com file
>
> 	mov.com.		IN	CNAME		movie.com.
>
> but I just get this error when it starts up zone mov.com/IN: loading master
> file db.mov.com: CNAME and other data.  I can't find a way around it, does
> anyone have any ideas.  Thanks in advance.

As the intent is to transition from mov.com to movie.com and the addresses
are the same in both environments, you can use the same zone file for both
domains.

	zone "mov.com" {
		file	"com.movie";
	};

	zone "movie.com" {
		file	"com.movie";
	};

Use your in-addr.arpa zone file to indicate the "official" name of the
system.  After each system has been fully updated to be in the movie.com
domain, change the PTR record to reflect the fact.

Merton Campbell Crockett

--
BEGIN:				vcard
VERSION:			3.0