DNS views dynamic update

sky sky desimirka at yahoo.ca
Tue Aug 2 19:30:50 UTC 2005

Hello!

Newbie here so please forgive my jargon.

I have a network with internal private IPs and DHCP/DDNS configured. I have a gateway box with NAT that my private network is using to communicate with the external network. Also, I have multiple servers and clients running on both internal and external networks, and I want all of them to be able to communicate.

What I want is to configure BIND9 with Internal and External view on the gateway box. Internal view would represent my internal network and it will resolve queries from internal to internal, and forward queries from internal to outside. My external view would resolve queries from external and it will use external translated IPs.

I want my Internal/External views to be identical except for the IPs, Internal view will respond with Internal IPs, and External view would respond with external (translated) IPs.

This is all very standard so far, and I guess possible to do if you configure your views to be static. Now, my internal view would be dynamically populated via DDNS, and I want to be able to generate External view based on the Internal view, except I would substitute internal IPs with the translated ones. Basically, I need something that will digest Internal view and populate External view with the same domain names but with translated addresses. How could this be done? Do I need to write a script in order to do this, or there is another solution?...

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Sky