DNS problem, or MUA settings for GMX?

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Thu Aug 4 15:39:01 UTC 2005

pn.lu at gmx.net wrote:
> At office and home I can access the coperate network. But a mail program
> (such as mozilla mail) does not work, neither at home nor at office.

You have not posted any evidence of troubleshooting steps taken, such as
"dig gmx.net" from each place. I suspect a MUA configuration issue. As
you can see, my MUA works fine with GMX. I use AUTH and TLS over the
submission port (587). It works from home and anywhere else, unless of
course they use proxy servers and block outbound traffic.

> Therefore I have newly installed BIND 9.2.4 on my linux (SuSE9.2) box

9.3.1 is generally recommended for new installs.

> and written the following lines in the /etc/named.conf.
> <snip>
> zone "gmx.net" in {
>         type forward;
>         forwarders { 213.165.64.1; 192.112.36.4; 195.20.224.97; };
> };
> <snap>

Take that out! Use the default settings. Do not set up any kind of local
zone, even a "type forward", unless it is a domain which you control.

> The first forwarder ist the nameserver of the ISP gmx. But it doesn't
> help me further.

Of course not.

> How can forward the DNS requests right?

First, prove to us that DNS is not working using the default settings
for the root zone.
     or "not-spam" is in Subject: header