Problem with reverse names using double zones

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Aug 5 14:57:45 UTC 2005

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 01:50:12PM +0000,
 Luis Marcelo Achite <lmachite at dir.iai.int> wrote
 a message of 44 lines which said:

> I have a domain like "AAA.BBB" registered at IANA.

You should always use the real domain. A fake domain cannot be
investigated remotely.

Also, I doubt that you can register domains at IANA, unless you're a
TLD, of course.

> The problem I´m facing is that the reverse file is directing the
> "AAA.BBB" zone,

English is not my main language, which may be why I cannot understand
the sentence.

> some mail servers are not accepting messages from my domain because
> they are not identifying the reverse table for "ZZZ.AAA.BBB".

Stupid but common.

> Here is a summary to clarify:

The real names and IP addresses, or the real configuration files would
have been more helpful.

> AAA.BBB.rev (directing the reverse of AAA.BBB zone)
> ZZZ.AAA.BBB.rev (directing the reverse for ZZZ.AAA.BBB zone)

The above is undecipherable to me so I will try a shoot in the dark:
if you have only one network prefix (for instance 150.163.35.0/24),
why not putting:

1   IN PTR iaibr1.dir.iai.int.

in the (unique) reverse file? I have the feeling that you think you
cannot have different domains in the right-hand parts of the reverse
zone file. But you can.