about cache-only configuration file..

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Aug 2 04:31:32 UTC 2005

In article <dcdocg$2ftg$1 at sf1.isc.org>, "blrmaani" <blrmaani at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Folks,
>  Question on cache-only configuration
> file. In this configuration file, we
> DO NOT specify the list of masters to
> query when we query the cache-only name-server.

I'm not sure what this means.  Masters are only relevant to slave
servers, not caching-only servers.

> 1. How will the cache-only name server know
>   which master to send the recursive query
> ( is it by using the nameserver(s) in resolv.conf? )

It works its way down the DNS hierarchy from the root servers, which are
listed in the root hints file.

> 2. If we use views ( supported in BIND 9.x ) how
>   will the cache-only name server know which
>   entry in a particular view to use?

Caching-only servers don't have any entries, so this question doesn't
make sense.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA