Updating BIND 8.2.7 for cache poisoning

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Aug 9 02:05:11 UTC 2005

At 10:12 AM +0900 2005-08-09, John Kim wrote:

>  I would like to know how weak BIND 8.2.7 is for cache poisoning.

	All versions of BIND-8 are vulnerable to some forms of attack.
More recent versions are less vulnerable to the older methods, but
still vulnerable to the newer ones.

	That's part of why BIND-9 was done as a ground-up rewrite, not
sharing a single line of code -- to avoid the potential security
implications.

>  Which BIND version is not only safe for cache poisoning but also similar
>  to BIND 8.2.7.

	Well, BIND 8.4.6 is the most recent release of BIND-8, but even
that is likely to have any number of weaknesses which have not yet
been known to be exploited.  All versions of BIND-8 will be
vulnerable to the "forwarders" attack, as mentioned at
<http://www.isc.org/sw/bind/bind8.php>.

	You really should be upgrading to BIND-9.  In fact, you should
have done it a long time ago.  See the list of all publicly known
BIND vulnerabilities at
<http://www.isc.org/sw/bind/bind-security.php>.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755