named.cong in RHE AS4 .

Jason Vas Dias jvdias at redhat.com
Wed Aug 10 15:08:08 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 07:35, Peter Dambier wrote:
> hamideh d wrote:
> > hi,
> > would someone explain about localdomain and localhost
> > in named.conf file on RH enterprise AS4 ?
> >

> > zone "localdomain" IN {
> >         type master;
> >         file "localdomain.zone";
> >         allow-update { none; };
> > };
>
> That is the famous 'local' domain of zero configuration, rendezvous,
> bojour, 169.254.xxx.xxx
>
> I dont know if this is a good idea to define it. I have seen windows
> break because of this. At least it keeps those requests off the net
> and that is good.
>

> > zone "localhost" IN {
> >         type master;
> >         file "localhost.zone";
> >         allow-update { none; };
> > };
> >
> > and another question... I saw these lines in
> > named.conf
>
> That is 127.0.0.1
>
> Define it here too keep those requests from polluting the root-servers
>

> > zone
> > "0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.ip6.arpa"
> > IN {
> >         type master;
> >         file "named.ip6.local";
> >         allow-update { none; };
> > };
> >
> > does it mean it support IPV6 ?
> >

> Yes.
>
> This is the IPv6 equivalent of 127.0.0.1 localhost.
> Requests for this domain should never be seen in the internet. To keep it
> local it is defined here,
>
> > tnx .
>
> All these domains are local and dont may be seen in the internet.
>
> Nevertheless 90% of the rootserver-traffic is for these domains.
>

> Regards,
> Peter and Karin Dambier

FYI, these zones are provided by the "caching-nameserver" package on
Red Hat systems, to comply with RFC 1912, Section 4.1, which states:
"
Certain zones should always be present in nameserver configurations:

           primary         localhost               localhost
           primary         0.0.127.in-addr.arpa    127.0
           primary         255.in-addr.arpa        255
           primary         0.in-addr.arpa          0
"
The IPv6 localhost zone was added by extension, as was the
"localdomain." fake TLD, since by default Red Hat hosts have the
hostname "localhost.localdomain" if no host name is specified
during installation.
These not only prevent requests for these zones going out on the
network, but prevent "spoofing" of the localhost addresses, and
tell the nameserver "who it is", so there is always a name and
address for which it is authoritative that can be used as the
primary nameserver for any zones of which it is master, even
if it has no address/name mapping in the DNS.
Please report issues with Red Hat bind to Red Hat bugzilla @
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?component=bind

Regards,

Jason Vas Dias,