Why would BIND timeout on only 'A' results?

Dave Clark bind-users at dollardns.net
Sat Aug 13 21:01:04 UTC 2005

The problem still exists.  I do not know what method DNS Report is getting
its information, but all of the information COULD have been gotten from
making an ANY request for "cawunited.com", along with the glue, and making
an A request for www.cawunited.com.  Both requests would work fine and the
timeout would not be immediately apparent.

Besides dig and DNS Crawler, you could also see the problem at these URLs:

times out
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup.ch?name=cawunited.com&type=A

The 'www.cawunited.com' request succeeded, and the CNAME referral request
timed out
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup.ch?name=www.cawunited.com&type=A

The tool isn't totally bug free however, cause the ANY (ALL) type request
doesn't follow the delegation from the GTLD servers for some reason.  The
DNS Crawler links given in my initial email provide the best graphical
representation of the problem.

Dave