Slight Difference between one DNS and Another

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Mon Aug 15 20:52:44 UTC 2005

	While creating an alias on one site we administer DNS for, I
confirmed something I had been suspecting for some time.  On that
site, if one fails to put the trailing dot at the end of an alias, you
can't find it.  A host -tany lookup for that address finds it all
right with a domain name that reflects the less-than fully-qualified
domain as in

abc.mydomain.edu.mydomain.edu.

	If you put the trailing dots in like

sysname.abc.edu.

All is well and the alias works.

	What small parameter might I have changed or omitted on the
DNS that requires dots?

	If I dig at the picky DNS and at the not-so-picky DNS and look
at the zones, nothing jumps out at me as being that different.

	Thank you.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Information Technology Division Network Operations Group