dns_master_load issues

Lance Albertson lance at ksu.edu
Tue Aug 16 15:01:00 UTC 2005

Mark Andrews wrote:
>>Funny you say that since I realized about an hour before you sent this
>>email that was going on. I don't suppose there's any other way to share
>>one zone file with two zones? The main problem is the fact that this
>>zone has over a hundred origins and setting them for one domain negates
>>it from being used for the other domain since its out of its zone. I was
>>hoping doing origins like this would enable me to share the file with
>>both zones, but now I realize that won't work. So either I'm missing how
>>I can do this in a simple manner or create some other method of keeping
>>both zones the same.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>

> 	You can use $INCLUDE, the origin is reset on return.
Ah, didn't realize origin was reset like that when you used the $INCLUDE
directive. That would work for a portion of our subdomains, but we have
some origins that only have a handful of hosts in them so making a
separate file for each would become a headache eventually.

> 	You can use DNAME for one of the zones.

I just read about those records (hadn't really used them before). I
tried doing a few things with DNAME records and it doesn't seem to like
applying these to ORIGINS that are set. i.e.:

For the foo.example zone (bar.example being the other one)

	IN DNAME foo.example.
$ORIGIN blah.bar.example.

It complains about out-of-zone data with that. Or is there another way
to use DNAMEs to make it work the way I'd like? I'm sure that I'm
probably not using the right syntax or something :)

> 	You can use multiple labels for the owners names, etc. and
> 	not use $ORIGIN.

Could you elaborate more on this? I'm not quite following what you're
suggesting here.

Thanks for the info so far!

--
Lance Albertson