Mult sub-domain -> same ip

Wes theXYZtenor at XYZattXYZ.net
Tue Aug 16 15:11:40 UTC 2005

I'm don't have much knowledge about DNS but suspect that the folks at my web
hosting company are also lacking.

I had them create two subdomain entries in their DNS to point toward our
local server
hq1.dmihotels.com   and
hq2.dmihotels.com

Now from my ISP (comcast) I can get DNS responses for both. From another ISP
I can only get response for the second and from a third ISP only for the
first. I suspect it involves the way the DNS entries were created and the
possibility that some DNS are less flexible in what they "allow" in terms of
mapping IPs to (sub)domains.

I did some cursory investigation into this but haven't found the definitive
answer that would allow me to yell at my web hosting (and therefor DNS
server) company.

Wes