Upgrading BIND with new hardware and new IP address

Stefan Puiu stefan.puiu at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 17:53:32 UTC 2005

Well what's the problem? You should be able to keep the old
configuration if you move to 9.3.1, and replace the old IP in your
zones with the new one, wherever it is used. Then you need to
configure your client machines to use the new DNS server and that's
it, unless you've left out something.

Also, since clients are configured with IP addresses of nameservers
(otherwise resolution would be deadlocked), you don't need to care
about names.

If you're not too knowledgeable about DNS or BIND, a book might help;
most people here suggest "DNS & BIND, 4th edition" by Cricket Liu and
Paul Albitz, and I agree it's quite good. It's slightly outdated with
regard to newer features in BIND since 9.1.0, but for that you have
the ARM ("Administrator's Reference Manual").