Upgrading BIND with new hardware and new IP address

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Aug 23 19:33:19 UTC 2005

At 7:35 PM -0700 2005-08-22, Church, Simon wrote:

>  We have an existing server (e.g. EXTDNS01) running windows 2000 and BIND
>  9.21. We need to move this to new hardware, upgrade to the latest
>  version of BIND and also change the IP address of our server and
>  register it with the appropriate organization.

	Sounds like you should be able to simply set up the new hardware
with the new software using a new name on a new IP address, get the
delegations changed at your parent or registrar, wait a while for
things to settle down, then take down the old machine.

>                    If I did this, I would have to rename the server later
>  on to EXTDNS02. Does BIND handle name changes OK?

	Sure.  BIND doesn't care what the hostname is of the machine it's
running on.

>  I am looking for recommendations on how best to get this new server on
>  line. How should I go about the upgrade to the latest version of BIND as
>  well as changing the hardware at the same time?

	Seems to me like it should be dead simple.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755