Redirect of domain name on OS X,

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Tue Aug 23 23:31:00 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 2005-August-23 16:00, Brad Knowles wrote:
> 	Unfortunately, MacOS X is pretty weird when it comes to the
> networking stuff, so this is not necessarily a valid assumption.

I am not surprised. :)

> 	However, it's almost trivial to set up a caching recursive
> resolver that thinks it's authoritative for www.example.com, and
> directs that URL to wherever you want.  IMO, this is a better

Almost. Anyway it would bring it on topic here. ;) It's trivial for us,
but I'd think it a substantial hurdle for the typical non-techie user.

> solution than trying to use /etc/hosts, which is usually only
> consulted during boot by most modern Unixes.

I'm mostly familiar with GNU/Linux and glibc, where the default setting
in /etc/nsswitch.conf is "hosts: files dns" which means that /etc/hosts
is consulted before DNS. In fact it's a trick I put to good use quite
often, and I have been bitten by it a few times when old /etc/hosts
entries were forgotten. :)
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header