Filename wildcards in include configuration directive

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Aug 25 01:20:18 UTC 2005

> In article <deh0tq$2dc6$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
>  Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews at isc.org> wrote:

> > > Or, just refer to the existing documentation. POSIX 1003.2, 3.13.
> > >

> > >                   - Kevin
> >
> > 	I don't think posix has documented what named should do when
> > 	confronted with 'include "/etc/definitions/*.zdef";' in
> > 	named.conf.  As I said document the desired behaviour.
>
> I think the intent was clear.  POSIX specifies how wildcards are matched
> against filenames.  What else could he conceivably desire but that the
> statement would include all the files that match the wildcard, using the
> matching algorithm of POSIX?

	Globing is shell sensitive.

$ ls {config,xx}.[ch]
ls: {config,xx}.[ch]: No such file or directory

% ls {config,xx}.[ch]
config.h        xx.c

	Do they want full globing or just "*"?

	Do you need to be able to escape the special characters?

	And all this need to be documented in named's documentation.

	Without a spec/documentation you don't know when you are done.

> Actually, I would expect that the matching algorithm should match the OS
> on which BIND is running.  So if it's on a Unix system it should use
> POSIX matching, but on Windows it should use Windows/DOS filename
> matching.

> --
> Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
> Arlington, MA