1000s of users

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Wed Aug 31 17:32:42 UTC 2005

Michael Banta wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I read a post the other day of someone saying they hosted thousands of
> DNS records, an ISP maybe.
>
> My question is: do you simply go into the named.conf file and keep
> manually adding zone files in into the flat text file? Is that the
> standard way of  working with that many zones? Or is there some other
> helper utility to more easily manage that many zones.
>
> Thanks
> Mike

# IASON ZoneCompiler version 0.0.4
# SOA(".","2005083018","a.public-root.net","hostmaster.public-root.net","12H","1H","2W","4H").
# lines: 11599,  NS: 10454,  A: 1063,  AAAA: 61,  SOA: 2, domains: 3033 servers: 1051

That means I have found 3033 domain in The Public-Root zone file and 10454 NS records.
But interestingly enough it really only has 1051 nameservers. The whole file is 11599
lines long.

I hope I dont tell a trade secret. It was constructed by a programme that builds its
records out of a database. Each costumer can access the database records for her
domain only. The programme puts everything together. Voila a new root zone file.

With ".DE", ".NET" and ".COM" this obiously has to be different. They dont use a
zone file. It would be terribly big. Their nameservers work directly from a database.

Regards,
Peter and Karin Dambier

--
Peter and Karin Dambier