Multiple default records

Kvetch kvetch at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 18:42:57 UTC 2005

Hello, I was wondering exactly what happens with a zone that has multiple
default records and one of those records are unavailable.
For example if I have
foo.net.    60    IN    A    192.168.1.1
foo.net.    60    IN    A    192.168.1.2
foo.net.    60    IN    A    192.168.1.3

If a user visits foo.net <http://foo.net>'s website and gets the
192.168.1.1<http://192.168.1.1>server, then 15 minutes they return to
foo.net <http://foo.net> but 192.168.1.1 <http://192.168.1.1> had crashed
during this 15 minute interval would they automatically be sent over to
192.168.1.2 <http://192.168.1.2> or 192.168.1.3 <http://192.168.1.3> or
would they continue to round robin between the 3 IP's and might get a 404
error if they hit 192.168.1.1 <http://192.168.1.1>? So basically does DNS
recognize that one of the IP's is unavailable and send the user to another
IP. Kind of like MX record's preference values.

Since the TTL is 1 hour they would not have to return to our DNS server
since they received all 3 IP's, correct?

Thanks,
Nick