Advertisement ;-) why upgrade to Bind 9.3.1

Guido Roeskens groeskens at bluewin.ch
Tue Aug 30 18:27:34 UTC 2005

Hello List,

in the last month's the same questions are asked again and again.

The answer is almost always: Upgrade

Why upgrade?
- Bugs
  Bind 9.1.3, 9.2.x (as used by many OS default installs) have bugs.
  Those are fixed in 9.3.x (x beeing 1 at the time of writing)

- dynamic updates features
  your yournal file keeps growing without an end?
  Bind 9.3 brings you the option max-journal-size to set a limit
  on (of) your journal files

- ISP admin features
  I waited a long time for Bind 9.3, since it gave me the feature
  to clear a single entry from the cache.
  rndc flushname name [view]
  With this I have an solution for the admins whining
  "why do your DNS servers not update the cache for the
  domain I changed?"
  It's their fault in first place, and the "others" use other
  DNS software like Bind 8 or MS DNS.
  I still point out that they have an issue which now is resolved
  on our DNS servers, but not on all DNS servers in the world.

- Security
  Newer Bind releases have fixes for security issues.
  While Bind 9 has had only a few security issues, they still
  exist(ed).

- many other features I may have missed
  DNSSEC improvements, .....

If you get to your "favorite" vendor with a bug report, they
always tell you "update". While I sometimes doubt that updating
will solve the problem, you have to do it to get the support
to look at your problem. (And you pay for the service)

This wasn't the case with Bind.
However, the issues we had with Bind 9 were solved when we upgraded.

So, follow Marks suggestion and update.

Kind regards,

Guido Roeskens