Bind9 with changing IPv6 address

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 jinmei at isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp
Thu Dec 1 03:21:46 UTC 2005

>> I have a perfectly working bind9 server that supports TSIG. There's
>> something very specific about this server and that is that it's
>> IP-address can change from time to time (why? well it's rather
>> complicated but it is intended and must stay like that).
>>
>> Now lets say that the DNS server has an initial IP of
>> fd4f:bfaf:83cd:1::fe, then I can perfectly make a connection. But when
>> the IP address changes to fd4f:bfaf:83cd:2::fe I get a connection
>> refused (even with telnet). Is there a way to solve this so that I can
>> still connect to the server?
>>
>> Restarting named helps but that will give me a lot of overhead. Besides
>> I don't think it's possible to remotely restart named.

> 	Have some local process notice the addresses have changed
> 	and reload or reconfig named via rndc over ::1.  This will
> 	cause the interfaces to be rescanned.  You need to be running
> 	as root on most OS for this to be successful as named uses
> 	a reserved port.

I'd also be interested in seeing the named.conf file and the OS
name/version.  If named simply does 'listen-on-v6 any' on a system
that supports the IPV6_V6ONLY option, it will open wildcard UDP/TCP
sockets and rely on the IPV6_PKTINFO ancillary data to ensure the
source address of a response matches the destination address of the
query.  This way the server should be able to follow dynamic address
changes without any trick.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.