problem with missing queries

Tom Schmitt TomSchmitt at gmx.de
Thu Dec 1 11:33:15 UTC 2005

Hi,

I run Bind 9.2.1 on Solaris 2.6 and have a problem: from time to time the
DNS-server has a "blackout" for a time between one and ten seconds. Meaning,
that in this time none of the arriving DNS-queries reaches the named
(nothing in his logfiles), but I can see the packets with tcpdump.

When I was searching for the source of the problem a found a large number of
syscalls produced by the named giving back errors.

The errors occuring there:
syscall   second  calls   errors
recvmsg     .93   37977    14575

My question is:
Is this a problem of the serversystem (like too much queries to handle for
the ipstack) or is there any problem known for the named 9.2.1 that can be
the source for these errors?

Thanks,
Tom.