SOA serial rotation

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Thu Dec 1 10:44:48 UTC 2005

In article <dmkvnn$2t0l$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Sam Wilson
<Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> Can anyone provide a current reference showing how to recover from a
> mistakenly high value of the SOA serial number?  I'm sure there used to
> be good web pages about it but I can't find them any more.  The RFC
> describing sequence space numbering doesn't actually give any examples
> of what it's useful for!
>
> (It's for someone else.  Yes, I could write a description myself but it
> wouldn't be as good as descriptions I remember reading elsewhere.)

Thanks for all the responses to this.  The gold medal goes to Jim Reid
who pointed out section 3.1 of RFC1912.  I was aware that the matter
had been discussed here many times but couldn't hit on the right
combination of terms for Google Groups to find the articles.[1]  I also
checked the index of the Cricket book which doesn't seem to mention the
relevant section on pp152-153.

[1] And did you know that searching Google Groups for "2**31" with or
without the quotes doesn't find "2**31" but searching for "2^31" finds
both "2^31" AND "2**31"!  Damned clever those Google Guys...

Thanks again,

Sam