Secondary DNS is not updated quickly from Primary

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sat Dec 3 03:30:21 UTC 2005

In article <dmq2tg$cun$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Borhade Ganesh (vMoksha)" <Ganesh.Borhade at UCB-Group.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>      I have configured Primary DNS Server --> Bind 9.2.3 on Solaris 9 with
> private IP address  & Secondary DNS Server --> Bind 9 on Solaris 10 with
> private IP address.
> My zones are transfer from Primary DNS to Secondary DNS only when i reload
> zone from secondary  [ rndc reload <zone name > ].
>     I wants to make DNS Server's  live on Monday with Public IP address but
> before that i wants to make sure that if i restart rndc service ( rndc
> stop/start ) on primary ( Zone updated with serial no ) then it should
> automatically transfer the zone  to Secondary DNS
>     Can anyone help me how to resolve it?

The slave should automatically refresh the zone every <refresh> seconds,
where this is the Refresh parameter in the zone's SOA record.  So if you
want to ensure that it updates within 15 minutes, set this to 900.

You should also be able to use the DNS Notify mechanism.  Make sure that
the slaves are listed in the NS records of the zone, and the master will
send a Notify message to the slaves within a few seconds of your
reloading the zone on the master.

Of course, make sure you increment the serial number on the master after
making chances.

Are there any messages in the slave's log when it should be refreshing
the zone?

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA