use nsupdate to secure update windows DNS

Dave Clark bind-users at dollardns.net
Sat Dec 3 15:51:25 UTC 2005

> I am interested to see why nsupdate won't work with "secure update" with
> M$'s server. Is that because it used M$ proprietary authencation method
> prevent the open source implementation or just nobody wants this feature
or
> without M$ support nobody will be able to do it?

BIND/nsupdate supports what is called TSIG authentication for dynamic
update.  Microsoft uses what is called GSS-TSIG authentication for dynamic
update.  Microsoft's implementation does have something to do with LDAP.
There's very few dynamic update clients out there, including nsupdate, and
ipupdate @ sourceforge.net.  And none that I know of that supports GSS-TSIG.
I hear unverified rumors that ISC plans on supporting GSS-TSIG someday.  I'm
the author of ipupdate, and hope to support GSS-TSIG someday.  I searched
around just now, and I believe I found the RFC for GSS-TSIG linked below
FYI.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3645.txt

I'm not sure if Microsoft's implementation is completely compatible with the
RFC though.

Dave