BIND 8 dynamic updates

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Dec 7 22:08:05 UTC 2005

Andrew wrote:

>Understand that received dynamic updates first recorded in .log file, and
>then "flushed" to actual zone file at some interval.
>
>What is the interval?  How is it controlled?
>
>I get updates, see them in the log, can answer queries against the
>entries...but never get written to the zone file.

The Dynamic Updates are immediately visible in any queries or zone
transfers of the relevant zone, and will persist even across a reboot or
restart of the nameserver. Why do you care what's in the actual zone
file? No scripts should be reading it. It's not safe to rely on any
reads of a file that's constantly being written to by an unrelated
process anyway; you could get partial and/or corrupted data...