A question about using forwarders.

raghavendra.sadaramachandra at wipro.com raghavendra.sadaramachandra at wipro.com
Thu Dec 8 06:13:55 UTC 2005

Hi,
 Plz use following configuration to get reply from any one out of 2 ip
addresses configured. In named.conf file.

options {
        directory "/var/named";

        forward only;

        forwarders {
		IP1;
		IP2;
        };
};

Here it first tries to contact IP1 and if IP1 fails to reply it contacts
IP2.

Plz look at the following also.

options {
        directory "/var/named";

        // The "forward" option is only meaningful if you've defined
        // forwarders.  "first" gives the normal BIND
        // forwarding behavior, i.e. ask the forwarders first, and if
that
        // doesn't work then do the full lookup.  You can also say
        // "forward only;" which is what used to be specified with
        // "slave" or "options forward-only".  "only" will never attempt
        // a full lookup; only the forwarders will be used.
        forward first;
        forwarders {
                1.2.3.4;
                5.6.7.8;