preventing "update denied" (was 9.3.1 logging)

Danny Thomas d.thomas at its.uq.edu.au
Sun Dec 11 02:31:30 UTC 2005

At 02:04 AM 12/10/2005, Janet Dueck wrote:
>         We are running 9.3.1 on solaris 9.  I am seeing a lot of the
>following errors in the syslogs and would like to redirect these
>messages to a separate file.
>
>Dec  9 22:41:39 whistler named[3624]: [ID 866145 daemon.error]
>client 209.87.58.167#2878: update 'labs.surrey.sfu.ca/IN' denied
>
>Does anyone know the specific logging category for these messages?
another approach possible if your don't use Dynamic DNS anyway, is
to set zone mnames to a name without an A record. We use

uq.edu.au.              86400   IN      SOA     noddns.cc.uq.edu.au. ...

with
noddns.cc.uq.edu.au.    86400   IN      TXT     "Dynamic updates not permitted"

ActiveDirectory service sub-zones, _msdcs, _sites, _tcp, _udp, etc
are created with an mname of our master name-server.

I remeber several people recommending a similar approach in the years
since AD was released. Often the suggestion has been to use a name
resolving to localhost or some unreachable address, or even a host
that won't run a name-server, but we think it slightly cleaner having
the mname simply not resolving to an A/AAAA record.

Danny

--
   d.thomas at its.uq.edu.au    Danny Thomas,
          +61-7-3365-8221    Software Infrastructure,