BIND 9.3.1 Forwarder Behavior

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Mon Dec 12 02:37:25 UTC 2005

In article <dngdfu$22vm$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Tim Wilde <twilde at dyndns.com>
wrote:

> It seems logical to me that a forward zone would always forward, whether
> or not recursion was requested.  Otherwise, what's the point of a
> forward zone?

Forwarding is a type of recursion -- it simply replaces the delegation
list with the forwarders.

> And how does this work for other people?  You certainly
> can't rely on recursive servers to set "rd" when doing the work on a
> client's behalf, because BIND 9.3.1 doesn't.

How is the recursive server ending up at your server in the first place?
Forwarding isn't intended to be used on the servers that a zone is
delegated to -- you're supposed to delegate to the authoritative
servers.  Forwarding is something you configure on caching servers.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA