[may be OT] What is the meaning of this error from dnsreport ?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Dec 12 21:49:54 UTC 2005

Netfortius wrote:

>As a preliminary step for some work I need to do on a client's site, on some
>firewall networking and rules setup for the DMZ (including TCP 53 for DNS
>servers communications restrictions), I ran a dnsreport on my client's domain
>name:
>
>http://dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=<my-cllent's-domain>.com
>
>and I got this error:
>
>FAIL	Missing nameservers 2	ERROR: One or more of the nameservers listed at the
>parent servers are not listed as NS records at your nameservers. The problem
>NS records are: <ns-of-ISP-hosting-secondary-server>
>
>My client is hosting his DNS primary server in house, with the secondary setup
>at the ISP, and the dnsreport did not come up with any other errors, so:
>- the parents server report them both as authoritative
>- a change I have forced - out of curiosity - on the serial number on my
>client's hosted name server showed up at the secondary, so they are "aware"
>of each other.
>
>Having described the above - what could be the cause of the problem reported
>by dnsreport.com (i.e. is that a mis-configuration at my client's site, or at
>the ISP's name server)?

The error message seems pretty self-explanatory to me. Add the missing
NS records to the zone.

For true redundancy, it's not enough that master/slave replication
works: everyone has to *know* where the slaves/replicas are. And you
announce that with NS records. There are some slaves that are not
published via the zone's NS records, so in the case of an outage, no-one
would be expected to know, except via a circuitous route, to look to
those slaves to resolve names for the zone. The only reason dnsreport
knows of those slaves' existence is because they are present in the
_other_ set of NS records for the zone -- the delegation NS records --
but those two sets should match each other, and apparently they don't in
this case.