whether SERVFAIL is cached by caching server

Sanjib Das Sanjib.Das at lntinfotech.com
Tue Dec 13 10:56:06 UTC 2005

Hi
I have setup a local domain my.domain. & it consists of two machines...
I configured one of them as primary server for my domain & another one
as caching server .For both these servers I'm using BIND-9.2.4 package
whenever I send query (using 'dig' command).....
from the second machine (machine where the caching server is running
locally) first it looks into its own cache....if its available it sends
from there
itself... otherwise sends it to the primary server...
Now say I got a SERVFAIL in the reply.... in this case whether my
caching server will cache this information...coz I found that
whenever I send the same query to the same server(second time after
getting SERVFAIL)..it sends to the server again....that means what I
believe the resolver (caching server) is not cqaching this kind
of(SERVFAIL)
response....

Please let me know whether my analysis is right or wrong....

Your comments are always valuable for me......

thanks & regards

Sanjib