[Question] Question about negative answers from the cache of BIND9

Hideshi Enokihara Hideshi.Enokihara at jp.yokogawa.com
Tue Dec 20 08:39:51 UTC 2005

Hi all,

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 07:59:40 +0900
"Kevin Darcy" <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:

> Re: [Question] Question about negative answers from the cache of BIND9
>
> Barry Margolin wrote:
>
> >In article <dnve24$2p4n$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
> > Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:

> >>Well, a SHOULD is not the same as a MUST, so there is technically no RFC
> >>violation here.
> >>
> >>However, as the reference implementation for DNS, my curiosity is piqued
> >>as to why BIND, of all implementations, would opt for default behavior
> >>that contravenes a SHOULD from the relevant RFC.
> >>

> >I don't think it really matters.  In practice, clients that query a
> >caching server will never query the authoritative servers directly.  So
> >they would never use the NS records if they were sent.
> >
> I agree with that _in_the_general_case_, but what about a "forward
> first" setup though? The client in that case might want as many NS
> record sets to cache as reasonably possible, so that it can be "ready to
> go" if the forwarder(s) suddenly became unavailable, i.e. it wouldn't
> have to build up its cache from scratch.
>
> Seems like this should be at least configurable, if not the default
> behavior in accordance with the RFC's SHOULD.

I heard the information regarding this topic.
BIND9 will support this behavior as configurable option like follow.

rfc2308-type1
Setting this to yes will cause the server to send NS records along
with the SOA record for negative answers. The default is no.

Note: Not yet implemented in BIND 9.

Best Regards,