Do I really need an MX record? (for e-mail to work)

Cormack, Ken Ken.Cormack at roadway.com
Wed Dec 21 21:36:39 UTC 2005

In article <doc7eg$1jbh$1 at sf1.isc.org>, sm5w2 at hotmail.com wrote:

> 2) The lack of an MX record seems to result in a fall-back to the A
> record (which explains why we are getting e-mail).

What would you do when marketing comes to you (as they did to us) and says
"We don't want to require our users to type "www.ourdomain.foo" in the
address for our web server.  We feel that's too much work.  We want them to
only have to type 'ourdomain.foo' into their browser, to hit our web site."

Trust me, it has happened here, and it has doubtless happened to other
domains.  (Are users really that lazy that "www." is too much for them to
type???  Are marketing types really that naïve to think it's a necessary
change to DNS???)

Suddenly now, you need you're A record to point to the web host, instead of
your mail server...

Ken